Take control of habits.
In Charles Duhigg’s landmark work “The Power of Habit”, habits are shown to consists of 3 parts: The cue, the routine, and the reward.
Changing your habits is this simple: identify the habit and its 3 parts, then substitute the routine with something else, keeping the cue and the reward.
- The Hum of the Universe – Shonda Rhimes on Creative Burnout, the Hamster Wheel of Success, and Reclaiming Who We Are from the Workaholic Grip of What We Do
- One Need No One Can Afford to Ignore – What do you really need if you want to lead a successful life? It seems odd in hindsight, but for a very long time no one seriously asked this question.
- Is a Happy Life Different from a Meaningful One? – A scientific controversy about the relationship between meaning and happiness raises fundamental questions about how to live a good life.
- Authentic Happiness – The foremost online hub for positive psychology, by Dr. Seligman himself.
- The Power of Purpose at Work – An article from linked in on type 4 at work.
- The Happiness Ruse – How did feeling good become a matter of relentless, competitive work; a never-to-be-attained goal which makes us miserable?
- Key Scientific Papers of Positive Psychology – This list, containing a collection of key paper from Pos. Psych., serves as a great overview for the field, and quickly shows the importance of meaning.
- Meaning Is Healthier Than Happiness – People who are happy but have little-to-no sense of meaning in their lives have the same gene expression patterns as people who are enduring chronic adversity.
- The Meanings of Life – Happiness is not the same as a sense of meaning. How do we go about finding a meaningful life, not just a happy one?
- 4 ways to bring more meaning into your life – A perspective from Emily Esfahani Smith’s book, similar to our own.
- How to Choose Goals That Make You Come Alive – Research on the components of well-being can help us choose goals that we’ll stick to.
- How to Pick a Career (That Actually Fits You) – A life-changing article from the always highly recommended Wait But Why.