Humility is a virtue with near limitless potential. Just as far as we can shift our view, zooming out to put our experiences in context, may we be soothed by a sense of comfortable insignificance.
Have you ever looked up at the sky and felt small? Ever gazed at a mountain in the distance and felt your problem shrink a bit?
This page is an homage to the earth itself as a means of context in our own life.
Believe it or not, your life is not the only one happening on this big rock. In fact, it is only one among many happening RIGHT NOW.
And when we consider how many other lives have happened on this planet already, it can give us a stronger sense of belonging; even a sense of ease around the existential challenges we face during life. And to think, the human species isn’t even the big story of our planet. We’ve only been around for the last .004 percent of the lifetime of the planet!
Here is the reality we all live in. This video shows the actual scale of the existence we are a part of. It can be easy to forget how big the universe is.
Another brilliant rendition of the famous “Powers of Ten” video, showing us the true scale of earth, our lives, and everything we know.
The oldest living things in the world: “This tree was a sapling during the Mayan empire, and is still living today.”
“The internal engines of plate techtonics are indifferent to life.” This video from the new Cosmos shows Earth’s timescale…way bigger than that of us humans.
This “Cosmic Calendar” from Neil Degrasse Tyson’s new Cosmos shows the timescale of the universe depicted as one earth year. You will be astounded if you’ve never seen it before.
“That’s Here. That’s Home. That’s us. On it, every one you love, everyone you know, everyone you ever heard of, everyone who ever was, lived out their lives.”
This is a classic must-see from Carl Sagan.
Earth in Detail
One hour of 4k video of Earth from space.
The Indian Ocean in 4k, over a few days.
A collection of some of the best footage from the International Space Station.
- The Drake Equation: a mathematical guide to the probability of life in the universe.
- More on the Drake Equation
- The history of the Universe using one Earth-year as the scale.
- An interactive zoom scale of the Universe!
- 26 Photos that will make you rethink your existence.
- In Praise of the Telescopic Perspective: A Reflection on Living Through Turbulent Times – Perspective to lift the blinders of our cultural moment.
- Ultra High Definition Video from NASA – Here, you’ll find all of NASA’s best video footage.
- “The Last Question” by Isaac Asimov
- Sting – The Inner Light
- Life After People – A TV show in which scientists speculate on what would become of the earth if humans instantly disappeared.
- A book about the oldest living things in the world.
- The Overview Institute – “From space, the astronauts tell us, national boundaries vanish, the conflicts that divide us become less important and the need to create a planetary society with the united will to protect this “pale blue dot” becomes both obvious and imperative.”